In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

West Quoddy Head Light Keepers Association

West Quoddy Head Light Station, Lubec, ca. 1895

Contributed by West Quoddy Head Light Keepers Association
MMN Item 27624 Item Details
West Quoddy Head Light Station, Lubec, ca. 1895
MMN Item 27624 Zoom

Description

Steam whistles for fog warning were used at West Quoddy from 1869 to about 1900 when the diaphone came into use. This aids in dating the photo. Zooming in reveals a whistle right of each of the two stacks. Note lack of protective fencing and the unusual wooden stairway down to the beach. A used copy of this postcard (in the West Quoddy Head Light Keepers Association collection) is postmarked St. John, N.B., August 20 1904.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.